Happy Fathers' Day 2020 - A Brief MemoirJun 19, 2020
This will be my first Fathers’ Day without my dad, who has always been the constant in my life. I miss him. I miss our conversations, and the way he could push my buttons whenever he wanted. I miss his interest and knowledge about everything under the sun. I miss the silly poems we wrote for him on his birthday and Fathers’ Day, and how he would laugh until he cried.
My dad was a hard worker and a loyal friend. He could fix anything. He could explain complex medical conditions in ways I could understand. He approached life with insatiable curiosity. He encouraged me to try things, to learn things, to participate fully.
Here are some of his lessons that are on my mind today:
- Strive for independence and cherish friendship.
- Speak up for yourself and what you believe.
- Show up with interest and curiosity.
- Keep your sense of humor, no matter what.
- Despite what you may accomplish or learn, remain humble.
- Prioritize self-care, health and well-being.
- Accept people as they are where they are, without judgment.
- Love unconditionally.
- Honor your promises.
- Wrong decisions are better than no decision at all. You can always course-correct.
I was so fortunate to have parents that lived into their 90s. I am grateful for that. At the end, it was difficult for each of them in different ways and it was painful to witness.
I will miss him forever. And I will honor his memory by aspiring to the example he set.
Schedule a Discovery Session with Cheryl